Cleaning Lady: What’s your nationality?
Me: I’m an American.
Cleaning Lady: You’re not like the other Americans who have stayed here before.
Me: What do you mean?
Cleaning Lady: I don’t know. There’s just something different. You’re respectful, your apartment’s always clean, you don’t drink, don’t smoke.
That was from a conversation I had with our cleaning lady a few days ago. That was the last conversation I had with her in fact. She has been our maid this past month we have been here at CNU, but as of this week she has been reassigned, and we have a new maid. Though I had this conversation with 海燕, I know she was talking about all the BYU-Idaho students she has been observing these past weeks. In Mattew chapter 5, the Savior talks about the need for us to be a light unto the world; a city that is set on a hill. Though the spreading of the gospel is prohibited here in China, it amazes me how that light cannot be extinguished. Though they try to cover it, the light seeps through the cracks, as if light from under a bushel. I don’t believe the people’s path we cross in life are by mere chance or coincidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment