Imagine jogging down the street, and coming out from under a freeway over-pass you see an old chinese man cutting hair with his little cart on the side of the road. How could you not be tempted to have him cut your hair? (Especially when you find out it will cost you only about 80 cents.) Does that not spell b-a-r-g-a-i-n to you? Yeah it was kind of sketchy, but hair grows back. Besides, this had to be at least as good as the beauty college haircuts I have been getting this past year.
I didn’t have any complaints. I just remembered that as we were waiting for our turn in line (and this place was hoppin’), the man before us not only got a haircut but a full shave as well! I’m not talking about with an electric shaver, but with one of those legit single blade barbershop knives, just like you see in old movies. I can’t tell you how bad I wanted to try that out.
This past week we were on vacation, Josh and I didn’t shave at all. Our reasoning was that it would be inconvenient while we traveled, but this was really the major motivator. As I sat down in that chair this afternoon, it was hard to hold back my excitement, and I could hardly wipe the grin off my face. He got out his brush and lathered up my face with his shaving cream from an old mug. This was the real-deal! Then he took out the blade and began shaving my face. Ouch!! That became not fun, very quickly. As much as I wanted to pretend I was enjoying it (partially because I didn’t want Josh to back out. haha If I had to go through it, he was too), I have to admit that it was painful. I had to keep reminding myself to breath. I kept thinking to myself that maybe the man sticking duck-tape to my face and ripping the hair out, would be less painful. I was relieved when it was all over.
I had to force a smile when Josh asked me how it was, and responded honestly: “It wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be.” He quickly found out for himself. I remember at one point Josh looked up at me, and only half-jokingly said: “I think I’m gonna cry.” He wasn’t as lucky as I was, as later the barber accidently nicked his cheek with his blade, and it started to bleed. That was the last straw. “Tell him I’m done. I am done.” Josh may or may not have been smiling as he paid the man. haha Turning to Josh I summed up the experience in two sentences: “That was one of the worst ideas we’ve ever had! Right up there with smashing my camera and wrecking the alpine sled.” Some things in life you only need to do once.
No comments:
Post a Comment