圆明园 (Yuan Ming Yuan) was a complex of palaces and gardens built in the 18th
century, which was used by the emperors of the Qing Dynasty and served as a
location for handling everyday governmental affairs, while the Forbidden City
was used for more formal ceremonies. Like the Forbidden City, no ordinary Chinese
citizen had ever been allowed here, as it was used
exclusively by the Imperial family.
In 1860 during the Second Opium War, two British envoys and
their small escort were arranged to meet with Chinese officials to negotiate.
Instead of being received under a flag of truce, they were confined and
tortured, resulting in the deaths of twenty individuals. The British High
Commissioner to China, Lord Elgin, retaliated by ordering the destruction of
the palace, which was then carried out by French and British troops. They set
the entire place ablaze and now only ruins remain.
Arriving at 圆明园 this afternoon we waited in line to purchase our tickets to enter the park. Because we are students here in Beijing, we have a 学生证 (student passport) that allows us to get into most tourist sites for half price, but for some reason this particular park refused to give us the discount. We weren’t talking about much money, but I like the debate, so I got a little rowdy with the lady. It didn’t take longer before I realized that she wasn’t going to budge on the decision. Looking her dead in the eyes, and with a straight face I said:
Me: It’s because
I’m white huh?
Lady: What?
Me: You’re
discriminating against me because I’m white.
At first she gave me a blank stare, and then it became
almost quizzical, as if she was trying to decide whether or not to take me
serious. Knowing that I couldn’t hold a straight face much longer I got out of
line before she could decide whether to laugh or yell at me.
The parks have to be the best part about Beijing. The
fall colors are beginning to set in, and it was just beautiful today! What also
made today special was that Solange came with us. She is from France and one of
our friends here at CNU.
No comments:
Post a Comment