Saturday, November 26, 2011

So Much To Be Grateful For

“What if the only things you had each morning were the things you thanked Heavenly Father for the night before?” –Unknown

            Six a.m. thanksgivings morning I was up studying for the Chinese test I would be having later that day. I looked over at my roommate still fast asleep in his bed, and couldn’t help but think that today didn’t feel much like a holiday. As I sat there reviewing Chinese characters and grammar principles, I knew that I had a decision to make: think about what I was missing at home or be grateful for the abundant blessings surrounding my life right now. Walking over to window, I peered out over the slow moving traffic of the third-ring road. In that moment I just marveled at the opportunity I was having—I am in China! This study abroad has been the greatest highlight of my college education thus far, how could I wish it away? From that moment everything changed for me. I choose to be happy! I mean, the sweet and sour chicken I had for lunch wasn’t exactly turkey, but it no longer mattered to me.

Just over a month ago I came across a quote that I really liked: “Do you ever pray to Him when your heart is so filled of things to thank Him for that you do not feel inclined to ask for anything else?” (Elder Richard G. Scott) Looking back over my childhood, even during our families toughest times there was always so much in our lives to be grateful for! Wouldn’t peoples’ lives be so much the happier if instead of focusing on what they don’t have, took more time to recognize the blessings they already have? In the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord teaches us: “And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him even an hundred fold, yeah, more” (D&C 78:19). Wanting to recognize more the blessings in my life, I decided then that every day before I went to sleep I would record one thing from that day I was grateful for:

Thoughts That Make Me Smile…
        The atonement;            eternal families;        The Book of Mormon;       
     
                     priesthood blessings;          loving relationships;        a friend who listens;

       hand written letters;        MOM and DAD;         warm blankets and hot chocolate;
 
            someone smiling in a crowded subway;         clean sheets on my bed;            

waking up Monday mornings;            bungee jumping;              brother/sister dates;

    religion homework;         songs with meaningful lyrics;    wearing new socks;     

 sincere prayers;         Chinese;     Christmas music;       health;         blue skies;

                       messages from friends you haven’t seen in a long time;        

        fireworks;        trying new things;       movie nights;              Thanksgiving;   

          autumn leaves;           knowing God hears and answers prayers;        skiing;            

having friends from around the world;        warm scarfs;                messages from home;        
                  falling snow;                repentance;                       learning;


In A Muppet's Christmas Carol, we hear the words: “Every night will end, and every day will start, With a grateful prayer and a thankful heart.” Gratitude is something we have to work at constantly. I remember a conversation my roommate and I had a while back. A little frustrated one of us blurted out: “What in the world!? Our maid hasn’t swept our floor in two or three days.” Josh and I stop and look at each other… were we really just complain about that? When in my life have I ever had a maid before now? Each week she puts clean sheets on my bed. On an almost daily basis she sweeps our floor, cleans our bathroom, and takes out our trash. Isn’t it sad how we sometimes take blessings for granted? Our health for example; doesn’t it seem we appreciate it most when it’s lacking? 

Tonight we spent the evening having a wonderful turkey dinner at President Johnson’s house. Our holiday was saved once again by our amazing ward family! But even if it hadn’t, I recognize that my life is what I make of it. I chose my own attitude. Why not make the most out of each day the Lord gives you?

1 comment: