For my online religion class, I
had to interview my parents about ‘what they have learned about the Lord's
purposes in bringing the two genders together in marriage.’ I thought one
comment was particularly insightful:
“Men and women often see and respond to situations very
differently. Families are happier and more balanced when men and women bring
their strengths and weaknesses together, seeking to learn and grow…When a child
falls and gets hurt, they are blessed if they have a mother to tenderly give
them a hug and a father to pick them up, brush them off and send them back into
the battle with an extra bit of strength, confidence and courage.”
My parents show their love in
very different ways. My mother is probably the most sincere person I know, and
just has that way about her. When she tells you that she loves you, there is no
doubt in your mind that she really does. Writing long, meaningful emails and
letters just comes naturally for her! My father loves me just as much, but he
shows his love in completely different ways. I doubt anyone works harder than
my father, and I swear he can fix anything. It’s through these acts of service
that my father demonstrates his love for us. Though he may come across all rough
and tough on the outside, he also has a tender heart. Growing up, I can
remember many occasions when in a tender moment, seeing tears come to my
father’s eyes.
The point I am trying to make is
that everyone shows their love in different ways. Here are a couple examples of
typical emails from my dad:
Hey
We have been reading your blog! And wondering how you stay out of
the chinese prison system?? haha We are busy as always. Guess you heard we
paid off the house.
Keep smiling and be careful.
LOVE DAD
Hey Buddy
Thanks for the note. Things are about the same here. Matt is
gearing up for the big play.
Love DAD
If I based his love for me on the expectation of long,
meaningful letter, I might have thought that I was an afterthought. Instead, I read
these short little notes and smile, taking it for what it is: an expression of
love.
No comments:
Post a Comment