When I look back and remember this study abroad, more
important than the places I visited, are the people I’ve met. One such
individual is James Xie. He is twelve years old and such a good boy, always being
a big help for his mother. He runs errands for her when she needs it, and he
loves to cook. He has already begun to take on responsibilities that other
children his age don’t need to worry about. I wish you could see his smile,
because it could melt any girls heart. (Have you ever seen the movie Up? I think he looks just like that kid;
he just needs a boy scout uniform.)
I don’t know all the
details, but James and his mother were baptized earlier this year. Though both
of them are Chinese, they have been allowed to attend church in our branch because
his father is a foreign passport holder. (Taiwanese) This is where I come in:
Two months after his baptism, James’s father passed away unexpectedly. The ward
has done a lot to help where they can, but there wasn’t anyone that James could
really connect with. As a ward missionary, I was asked to be a role model for
him, and help strengthen his testimony so he would be prepared to stay active
when his church records were transferred over to the nationals ward. (Without
their fathers foreign passport, the Chinese government will require them to
attend church with the Chinese nationals soon)
No comments:
Post a Comment