I have always
thought it interesting the impact friends have in our lives. In many ways, aren’t
our interests and decisions influenced by those we associate with? Towards the
end of September I received an email that really got me thinking:
“My health and wellness class is going alright…We have
behavior change contracts that we made up. Basically you pick one thing in your
life you feel you could improve and work on it every day. I chose service and
my contract is to do at least one act of service every day. So today, I made
all of my roommates' beds while they were away and we left them little sticky
notes wishing them a great day. It was cool, I'm going to have to start getting
creative though ;) haha” -- I made that my goal as well.
This
was never intended to be a blog post, but I remembered a general conference talk
given about recording experiences in your journal. A quotation from this talk
was written on the front of my journal all through my mission: “I heard
in my mind these words: ‘I’m not giving you these experiences for yourself.
Write them down’ …And so I wrote it down, so that my children could have the
memory someday when they would need it.” (Henry B. Eyring 2007)
Most of my acts
of service weren’t some amazing, life changing act that would alter the course
of someone’s life, but rather a matter of patterning my daily habits after our
Savior’s example. Sometimes my act of service was just helping a woman carry a
heavy bag up a flight of stairs, or helping a friend move rooms here in the
dorms. Once it was simply playing cards with a lonely classmate. A couple of
experiences particularly stand out:
It was late one
evening and I watched as a middle aged woman got on the bus. She looked as if
it had been a long day, and I could tell she was exhausted. When I stood up and
offered her my seat, she looked surprised and tried to insist that she was fine
standing. The argument ended abruptly though, as I blurted out: “My dad would
beat me if he knew I didn’t give you my seat.” She chuckled softly to herself
before accepting my offer. I wish I could put into words the way I felt as I
saw her gentle smile and heard her words of gratitude. Standing by the door
waiting for my stop, I couldn’t help but think: “God, it isn’t fair. How is it
that whenever I try to serve someone, I always feel like I received more than I
gave?”
Coming back from
an afternoon jog I saw a rather disgruntled woman struggling to communicate
with Chinese workers at the front desk. My friends Lauren and Tina were trying
to help out, but were obviously having communication difficulties, so I went to
see if I could help. As it turned out, the woman was Indonesian, and there was
confusion about her and her son checking out of the dorms. The Indonesian lady
spoke no Chinese and only limited English, but we could communicate enough for
me to understand her concern. With some effort of translating between them, everything
was straightened out and the Indonesian woman was on her way to the airport
with little time to spare.
I think my
favorite acts of service though, are those that go by unnoticed. Often they
aren’t large acts of service; maybe it was just unclogging a sink in the hall
bathroom. (Someone had used paper towels to block the drain and water was spilling
out all over the floor.) Another time, I was writing an email to a friend and
heard the repeated banging’s of a washing machine down the hall which had
tipped over, spraying water everywhere. Trying not to get soaked while unplugging the
machine was quite the ordeal, but it felt good knowing that I could make a
difference in the world, even if only in a small way.

No comments:
Post a Comment